What is a visual essay? Imagine a New Yorker–esque longread about a complex topic, but code, data, and animation replace dense prose to construct a different sort of story. It’s one that’s reader-driven, explorable, and embeddable into other websites.
The Pudding prizes quality. Each project represents a few weeks of the author’s life, spent researching, analyzing, and coding a culturally rich topic. The output: an interactive experience that seeks to advance public discourse in a way that a traditional 20,000-word essay never could.
Each essay has three ingredients:
- Passion and Depth: could the author spend 1-2 months (even for free) on the project with enough excitement/content?
- Purpose: does it answer a publicly divisive question? Have we improved the public discourse on a topic? Have we enhanced a timeless watercooler/happy hour discussion? (i.e., no projects about the news cycle)
- Craft: visual storytelling (with data, code, and animation) is a new medium. Are we moving it forward?
Want to contribute? Or hire us? See below.
For all hiring inquiries, please reach out to email@example.com. We respond to all emails within 24 hours and highly encourage people of all backgrounds and experience to apply.
Spring and Summer Interns
- $20/hr, full-time for 8-12 weeks
- Will produce 1 essay during the course of the internship
- Based in New York City (no remote)
- $75K–$85K USD, depending on location and experience. Full benefits.
- Composes one essay per month.
- Contributes to client-sponsored essays, as needed (maximum one per month).
- In past, has shipped code, design, and prose for an article commensurate with content on The Pudding (or better!).
- Coding skills are not required, but a huge plus.
- Comfort with data, databases, and analysis in whatever platform you prefer (including Excel!).
- Writes light HTML and CSS.
- May be remote.
- $100K - $140K USD, depending on location and experience. Full benefits.
- Equity and stock options are on the horizon.
- All competencies of Writer position.
- Produces beautiful, mobile-friendly content
- May be remote.
We are a small but dedicated team. That means there are more great stories to tell, beyond what we can produce.
Each quarter, we commission up to 3 essays, typically requiring 3-5 weeks weeks of the author’s time and at a fixed rate of $5,000. Reach out with your proposed topic, rough outline of output, and any support that you may need (e.g., design, code, or writing).
For business opportunities, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other inquiries, reach out to email@example.com.
We’re collaborating with brands to deliver premium, visual stories. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.